Sunday, February 25, 2007

Week 23 Making

Saturday 25th February 07
The layout of the website is finished now, every thing is in flash,. My initial plan was to make all using css and html or xhtml, but as my target audience are young children and most of the appealing young children’s sites are in flash, I came to the decision of making the site in flash.

I concentrated on the use of bright colours according to this article under the heading “Appeal To Kids And Teens” from
http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol5/design_no11.htm
The article gives practical advice in how to make a website appealing to young children, following are the things that I should pay more attention to:

  • Give the children direction on how to use the site

  • Avoid scrolling make all the important site content appear on the screen without scrolling.

  • They like cartoon look characters, bright colours, colouring page and games.

  • They like watching animation than reading

As a result I decided to make most of the component of my site animated, or video and use less of a text. Also to have interactive stuff to make kids come and again.

For the last two weeks I was doing the design of the interactive part it is almost finished although I wanted to change some stuff which I was not 100% happy about it, such as the moving sky. I wanted to animate some Arabic letters, shapes or anything that gives the theme of being Islamic Arabic. I will see how it goes.

Screen shot of the site intro